[Python-Dev] Integrate lxml into the stdlib?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Mar 5 22:06:32 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:52, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> > 2009/3/5 Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>:
> >> No matter how beautiful and fast lxml is, it has one downside where it
> >> comes to installing it into the stdlib: it is based on large, complex
> >> 3rd party libraries, libxml2 and libxslt.
> >
> > And it depends on Cython, which is wonderful normally, but maybe
> > difficult to deal with in language evolution since we wouldn't have
> > direct control over the C sources.
>
> I see the point, although I think that this can be dealt with by
>
> a) using a specific, stable release version of Cython for a specific Python
> release, so that this Cython version can be bug fixed if required (it's
> implemented in Python, after all)

So including Cython source in the stdlib and then check in the generated C
code? I don't think that adding another build dependency for the stdlib,
especially for one already with several external dependencies itself, is a
good idea.

> or
>
> b) adding Cython to the stdlib and building with that

That's an entirely separate discussion (for which my initial answer is to
not consider it until it has stabilized to a 1.0 release).

-Brett