[Python-Dev] draft 3.1 release schedule

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 6 20:25:05 CET 2009

> I guess I'm saying that I'm surprised people aren't a bit more
> appreciative of the opportunity to review code.

Not sure what "people" you are referring to here which aren't
appreciative of the opportunity to review code. Committers?
Non-committers?

> I don't think I would even be on this list or
> attempting to put together my first (and almost inconseqentially small)
> patch if it weren't for the fact that I see it as a huge opportunity.
> It's certainly not an attempt to 'push' anything into the language.

And this attitude I like best from contributors. Many people contribute
because they want to help, and don't expect anything in return.

However, many other people contribute because it solves a problem that
they have (scratch your own itch). They keep having the problem even
after they fixed it, in a sense, because they now have to reapply the
patch over and over again - for each Python release, and possibly for
each machine they deploy to (and for some, they can't change the
installed Python). Those people are eager to see their patch integrated,
preferably into the version that is already installed on their machines
(which requires the time machine :-)

> Would you object to my blogging on the topic in line with the comments
> that I have just made?

Go ahead! I really can't say much about blogging - I don't write blogs,
nor read them.

Regards,
Martin