[Python-Dev] Windows 2.6.1 installer - msiexec not creating msvcr90.dll

charlie cjlesh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 21:16:11 CET 2009

 Thanks for the reply.

This question is out of scope for python-dev; use python-list at python.org
> instead.

The last time I tried a question about the msi installer on python-list, no
one answered, so I thought it might be more appropriate for the dev list.

I actually thought this might be a bug with the new windows installer,
because this used to work with the 2.5.x installers. Before, using the exact
same msiexec command and options, a Python25 directory would be created
containing the required (if not already present) msvcr70.dll.

> My guess is that you have installed "for all users" in the command line,
> so msvcr90.dll went into system32.

I tried passing in the option ALLUSERS=0, which should be the default, and
it still did not work. Also, the dll is not anywhere on the system, and the
Python installed with msiexec will not run without it.

Anyway, I still can't figure out any way use msiexec to install 2.6.1 and
create the needed msvcr90.dll. Maybe it's not possible?

Thanks again, I'll try this question on python-list.