[Python-Dev] Forgotten Py3.0 change to remove Queue.empty() and Queue.full()

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Mar 7 02:17:13 CET 2009

>> Am not following you here.  My suggestion was to remove the two
>> methods in Py3.1 which isn't even in alpha yet.
>
> Your proposal was also to add a warning for 3.0.2. This is what I
> primarily object to.

Okay, that's fine.  Seemed prudent but it isn't essential.

>> This is for a feature
>> that has a simple substitute, was undocumented for Py3.0, and had
>> long been documented in Py2.x as being unreliable.
>
> The latter is not true. It was not documented as unreliable.

You're right.  It was the docstring that said it was unreliable.
The regular docs were more specific about its limitations.

> I still fail to see the rationale for removing these
> two methods.

I believe there was a thread (in January 2008) with a
decision to keep qsize() but to drop empty() and full().

Raymond