[Python-Dev] IMAP/POP3 servers on python.org?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Mar 7 17:49:11 CET 2009

[moving discussion to python-dev from pydotorg]

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009, Bill Janssen wrote:
> Michael Foord <michael at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> Bill Janssen wrote:

>>> It seems a steep learning curve just to run the Python test suite, to
>>> have to know how to install an IMAP server on your machine.  But perhaps
>>> you're right.
>>
>> Does it need to test against a real server - can't some of the lower
>> calls be mocked out?
>
> Not really.  These *are* the lower-level calls.

One thing I haven't seen addressed in this discussion is why it's
undesirable to ship Twisted as part of the testing source tree.  Yes, I
realize that it could create an "attractive nuisance", but I think the
gains in simplifying testing outweigh that.

indirection."  --Butler Lampson