[Python-Dev] IDLE maintenance

Mitchell L Model MLMLists at Comcast.net
Mon Mar 9 04:04:13 CET 2009

I've been trying to decipher the various mentions of IDLE maintenance
on this list to determine the likely future (not necessarily feature
addition, just keeping it working with each new version of Python
and, I suppose, Tk) , who is currently responsible for it, and who
will be responsible for it. Presumably these questions have official
answers somewhere, but I wouldn't know where to find them.

I have several strong reasons to want IDLE to survive, including
using it in teaching and writing, where it becomes absurd to provide
instructions full of variations based on different IDE's. IDLE is
sufficient for introductory courses and books, and useful for many
purposes even beyond that. The community should want to minimize the
entry friction new users experience, and new users in these times
will not necessarily have any experience with command-line shells or
editors like vi and emacs. IDLE is at just the right level for
someone new to Python to just jump in and start exploring or even for
someone with reasonable Python experience investigating a new area of
the library.

As I said, I don't know the plans or people surrounding IDLE are. If
it needs a new maintainer I hereby volunteer. Discussions about my
qualifications should probably be conducted through email to me
personally, rather than through this mailing list, using the address
I use when submitting issues to the tracker: mlm at acm.org.
--
		Mitchell L Model, Ph.D.
         mlm at acm.org		MLM Consulting