[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Mar 12 00:42:15 CET 2009

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing <at> canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> I like this, because it doesn't expand the signature that
> file-like objects need to support. If you're wrapping
> another file object you just need to pass on the mode
> string and it will all work.

What do you mean? open() doesn't allow you to wrap other file objects.

As for adding options to the mode string, I think it will only make things
unreadable. Better make the option explicit, like others already are (buffering,
newline, encoding).

Besides, file objects still have to support a sync() method, since sync-on-close
doesn't cater for all uses.