[Python-Dev] Formatting mini-language suggestion

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Mar 12 04:20:57 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger <python <at> rcn.com> writes:
>>
>> Financial users in particular find the locale approach to be frustrating and
> non-obvious.  Putting in a
>> thousands separator is a
>> common task for output destined to be read by non-programmers.
>
> Please note that for it to be useful in all parts of the world, it must also
> allow changing the decimal point.

Now that this cat is out of the bag (or should I say now that this can
of worms is opened :-) I suggest moving this to python-ideas and
writing a proper PEP. I expect that nobody likes that idea, but it
seems better than the alternative, which is to let the programmer who
gets to implement it design it...