[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Mar 13 11:02:00 CET 2009

Steve Holden wrote:
> Perhaps we could encourage more "jumbo" distributions, like Enthought's
> and ActiveState's. I suspect many people would rather be able to
> maintain their Python functionality as a single product.

I think you'll find it split..

People who use and love things like zc.buildout do so because they want
to free package maintainers to do their own release cycles and not have
individual packages held back by the need to release the "whole project"
in one go.

However, yes, I'm sure there are just as many people who want to install
"just one thing" and have it all there. (although they'll be sadly
disappointed when they realise whatever it is they need (lxml, PIL,
xlrd,xlwt) isn't there.

That said, a decent package management system in the core *and* the
jumbo installers you mention would likely keep both camps happy ;-)

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk