[Python-Dev] Ext4 data loss

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:20:21 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> auto-delete is one of the nice features of tempfile.  Another feature
>> which is entirely appropriate to this usage, though, though, is creation
>> of a non-conflicting filename.
>
> Ok. In that use case, however, it is completely irrelevant whether the
> tempfile module calls fsync. After it has generated the non-conflicting
> filename, it's done.

I agree, but my comment was that it would be nice if better fsync
support (if added) could be done in such a way that it helped not only
file objects, but also *file-like* objects (such as the wrappers in the
tempfile module) without making the file-like API any fatter.

If that's not possible or practical so be it, but it is still something
to keep in mind when considering options.

Cheers,
Nick.