[Python-Dev] Python-Dev] wait time [was: Ext4 data loss

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Mar 13 16:06:27 CET 2009

Aahz <aahz <at> pythoncraft.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > R. David Murray <rdmurray <at> bitdance.com> writes:
> >>
> >> You will note that what
> >> I suggested was that applications that _use the sync feature_ make
> >> it user controllable.
> >
> > I'm sorry, but if it has nothing to do with Python itself, perhaps we
> > could stop this subthread (or move it to another ML)? There are enough
> > messages already.
>
> <blink>  Yes, this *is* about Python: how should Python support David's
> use-case?

Python already has plenty of mechanisms for enabling configuration choices, so I
don't see your point: the use case is /already/ supported assuming there is a
sync() method at all.

The discussion is (or should be) about whether/how Python should expose a sync()
facility in its file input/output stack (or somewhere else in the stdlib).
Configuration policies are not for us to decide.