[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 13 19:27:34 CET 2009

Chris Withers wrote:

>> As stated, this may be impossible, because of the difference in what a
>> package should mean on Windows vs Unix.
>>
>> If you just mean a way to add python packages from pypi as with
>> EasyInstall, then maybe.
>
> I meant package in the python sense, which has a clear definition,
> unless I'm mistaken?

Unfortunately, you are mistaken: the term "package" is highly confusing
and ambiguous in the python sense. It could be a
package-as-import-sees-it, or it could be a package-as-pypi-sees-it.
For the latter, the distutils inventors tried to coin the term
"distribution", but that didn't quite catch on. It *is* the Python
*Package* index, and people do often refer to the things it indexes
as packages.

>> In some environments, each new component must be approved.  Once
>> python is approved, the standard library is OK, but adding 7 packages
>> from pypi requires 7 more sets of approvals.
>
> True, but as I mentioend elsewhere, I myself haven't done a python
> project where I only needed python and the standard lib for many years...

I was always able to get what I need through aptitude.

Regards,
Martin