[Python-Dev] PEP 377 - allow __enter__() methods to skip the statement body

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 15 21:30:54 CET 2009

> I'm talking about IronPython on the Microsoft .NET framework - although
> it is likely that the same is true of IronPython on Mono.

I see. It would be interesting to find out why this is so much slower -
I cannot believe that it is inherent in the commercial .NET framework,
but rather expect that it is some issue in IronPython (*). Also, the
test case measured doesn't entirely reflect what is proposed, since it
catches the exception in the same function - for a realistic comparison,
the raise should occur in a function call (so to measure the overhead
of stack unwinding also).

Regards,
Martin

(*) My wild guess is that IronPython feels obliged to provide traceback
objects, and that this a costly operation - I just can't believe that
exceptions are themselves costly on .NET, in the Microsoft
implementation. In the specific case, it would be possible to suppress
traceback generation.