[Python-Dev] What level of detail wanted for import and the language reference?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 16 23:39:13 CET 2009

At this point importlib is done for its public API for Python 3.1. That
means it's time to turn my attention to making sure the semantics of import
are well documented. But where to put all of the details? The language
reference for import (
http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-import-statement)
explains the basics, but is lacking all of the details of PEP 302 and other
stuff like __path__ that have existed for ages.

My question is if I should flesh out the details in the language reference
or do it in importlib's intro docs. The main reason I could see not doing it
in the langauge reference (or at least duplicating it) is it would be
somewhat easier to reference specific objects in importlib but I am not sure
if the language reference should try to stay away from stdlib references.

-Brett