[Python-Dev] What level of detail wanted for import and the language reference?

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Mar 16 23:59:52 CET 2009

2009/3/16 Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>:
> At this point importlib is done for its public API for Python 3.1. That
> means it's time to turn my attention to making sure the semantics of import
> are well documented. But where to put all of the details? The language
> reference for import
> (http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-import-statement)
> explains the basics, but is lacking all of the details of PEP 302 and other
> stuff like __path__ that have existed for ages.
>
> My question is if I should flesh out the details in the language reference
> or do it in importlib's intro docs. The main reason I could see not doing it
> in the langauge reference (or at least duplicating it) is it would be
> somewhat easier to reference specific objects in importlib but I am not sure
> if the language reference should try to stay away from stdlib references.

Thanks so much for doing this! Personally, I think you should put it
in the language reference. (I think it deserves it's own file if it's
as big as I suspect it will be.) If I wanted to use importlib, I
wouldn't really want to slog through a in-depth description of how
exactly import works.

--
Regards,
Benjamin