[Python-Dev] What level of detail wanted for import and the language reference?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 17 04:30:08 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> At this point importlib is done for its public API for Python 3.1. That
> means it's time to turn my attention to making sure the semantics of
> import are well documented. But where to put all of the details? The
> language reference for import
> (http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/reference/simple_stmts.html#the-import-statement)
> explains the basics, but is lacking all of the details of PEP 302 and
> other stuff like __path__ that have existed for ages.
>
> My question is if I should flesh out the details in the language
> reference or do it in importlib's intro docs. The main reason I could
> see not doing it in the langauge reference (or at least duplicating it)
> is it would be somewhat easier to reference specific objects in
> importlib but I am not sure if the language reference should try to stay
> away from stdlib references.

Why not just put a section in both places that says "can't be bothered
to spell this out right now" and put a URL in referring to this thread
on Google ... that appears to have been the traditional approach to
import semantics :)

regards
 Steve
Want to know? Come to PyCon - soon! http://us.pycon.org/