[Python-Dev] In-place operators

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:38:49 CET 2009

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> [Martin v. Löwis]
>>  I would object to their removal, though,
>> because it would hurt my sense of symmetry.
>
> I wasn't going to propose removal.  If everyone had
> agreed that the operator in-place functions were
> problematic, I was going to suggest moving their
> docs to a second page and documenting their limatations
> (like we had done long ago with some of the builtins
> that were no longer essential and had become obsolete).
> That would leave the main page full of the operator
> functions that have real utility.

Splitting their documentation out to a separate page that explains their
lack of usefulness when dealing with containers or immutable objects
sounds like a great idea. As you say, due to their reliance on a
separate assignment step they really are more limited than the other
functions in the operator module.

You didn't actually make that proposal in your original message though -
you just asked if people thought it was a mistake to have added them to
the operator module (which implied, at least to me, that you were going
to suggest deprecating them).

So +1 from me for changing the operator module docs as you suggest.

Cheers,
Nick.