[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:12:35 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think we need to ask first guys who spend their live maintaining
> libraries instead of just proposing "let's make some poor student port
> it to py3k", but I might be just wrong, I don't know.

I agree.  Part of Summer of Code is about getting students involved so they
stick around, and heck my second SoC student is still with our project as
the #2 committer, but he's an exception.

Also, we need the projects involved to want the tasks done by a student.  As
a project maintainer I wouldn't want an intern being the most familiar
person with our Py3 migration, I'd rather students stick with new features
or optimization and coordinate the migration process as a group-wide effort.

I added the 2to3 improvement idea to the list, a good start :-)  We need a
couple more at least.

If a 3to2 tool (for backporting Py3 code to Py2, so projects can develop
primarily in Py3?) is something that's wanted, who would be a good mentor
for it?