[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

Arc Riley arcriley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 23:37:10 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> Without help, it is going to take a long time to get many packages
> converted to 3.x.

I don't disagree, I just don't want to volunteer projects for something they
don't want.

Unless I misunderstand the situation, PIL doesn't seem applicable for SoC
given that their development tree is closed/proprietary (only free releases
are available under a free license).
Does anyone here work with PIL or can provide further insight into their Py3
plans?

Note also that some of the largest Python-based projects, Django, Mercurial,
Plone/Zope, Scons, etc, are setup as their own SoC mentoring orgs.  Only
Mercurial has Py3 migration on their ideas list.