[Python-Dev] Core projects for Summer of Code

average dreamingforward at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 23:18:00 CET 2009

> Summer of Code is ramping up.  Every year the common complaint is that not
> enough Python core projects get proposed by students, and of course a big
> reason for that is often the only encouragement we offer prospective
> students is a link to the PEP index.
>
> The challenge is finding project ideas for them that could reasonably occupy
> them for the entire Summer and which the results of their work can be
> demonstrated.  They're being paid for specific projects so "Spend the Summer
> fixing bugs on the tracker" is a no-go, and Google has outlined that Summer
> of Code is about code, not documentation.

Improve doctest by allowing it to be aware of nested test scopes such
that a variable defined at "class-level scope" (i.e. the variable b
defined at the class-level doctest """>>> b=Bag("abacab")""") can be
used in "method-level scopes" without re-defining it every time for
each method's doctest (each method would reset the given variable (if
used) to its original state rather than live mutated between
equal-level scopes).

Would be a great improvement for doctest in my opinion--both in
ease-of-use, and reduction of redundant, error-prone ("did you define
your test variable the same in each method?") code)--as well as other
benefits.

Appreciate any consideration...

marcos