[Python-Dev] GSoC: Core Python development tools

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Mar 23 00:13:00 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 07:30:01PM -0300, Daniel (ajax) Diniz wrote:
-> Even if neither is considered worthy, I'll keep them on my to-do list
-> and hope to slowly and hackishly work towards both proposals' goals.
-> Barring feedback saying that they're out of scope, stupid and
-> downright offensive, I'll post details on each to this thread very
-> soon.

Given the relative paucity of core Python GSoC ideas, I think you should
go for both of these, *especially* if you have a mentor up front.  So,
write 'em up, add 'em to the GSoC page, and let's see who we get...
If we get good applications for both, then I think we can "fund" both of
them.

I do think you should be prepared for pushback from python-dev on any
such ideas ;).  Don't get too ambitious about writing up *your* way of
fixing things, but rather make sure you and the students are prepared to
adapt to what people on python-dev think.  Mind you, ultimately the
people doing the work should make the decisions, but input from
python-dev is usually pretty useful even when it's contradictory!

cheers,
--titus
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu