[Python-Dev] GSoC: Replace MS Windows Console with Unicode UI

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 23 04:48:22 CET 2009

One of the disappointments of CPython 3.0 on Windows is that the switch
to unicode for text (str), coupled with the continued use of a
unicode-oblivious (obtuse) user interface (MS 'Command Prompt'), means
that print can no longer print all str strings, or all legal Python code
(as in a traceback).

Different people have tried and failed fix this bug by fiddling with
'Command Prompt' configeration.  This would make a useful summer
project, though I don't know if it would involve enough coding.  Call
the project something like 3.0 Unicode UI Improvement.

I see two possibilities.

1) Find an C-coded open-source C-P replacement whose author will license
to PSF and, as needed, modify or integrate it with CPython.

2) IDLE does much better but its support seems to still be imcomplete.
Upgrade tk/tkinter/IDLE (wherever the problems lie) and make IDLE's
shell an alternate UI.

If Windows (or other OSes) (to be investigated) does not reliably come
with a full unicode font (at least current BMP), is there a public
domain or open license font that we can include?

Terry Jan Reedy