[Python-Dev] packaging (was Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Mar 23 15:25:48 CET 2009

Chris Withers wrote:
> Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> Network connectivity isn't a given, even today.
>
> Indeed, now that is an important consideration.
> Packaging systems need to support "offline" modes. Buildout already does...
>
>> If someone else decides to create a MinimalPython which consists solely
>> of something like easy_install and whatever is needed to run it (i.e.
>> the opposite of the "fat" bundles from folks like ActiveState and
>> Enthought), then more power to them. But I don't believe the official
>> releases from python.org should go that way.
>
> My frustration is that some of the big standard libraries are locked to
> python releases meaning they carry around bugs for longer and are harder
> to contribute to than necessary...

Possibly so, but there are conflicting requirements and Python can't
satisfy them all without getting more complex.

Some people want an "all batteries and kitchen sink included" distro
that they can treat as a single component for configuration control
purposes. Others, like you, want the libraries to be separated out to
allow separate fixes.

regards
 Steve
Want to know? Come to PyCon - soon! http://us.pycon.org/