[Python-Dev] GSoC: Replace MS Windows Console with Unicode UI

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Mar 23 22:29:03 CET 2009

On approximately 3/23/2009 12:12 PM, came the following characters from
the keyboard of Terry Reedy:
> Glenn Linderman wrote:
>

>> One can set CMD into Unicode mode (chcp 65001)... not sure how Python
>> reacts to that either.  But even then...
>
> I tried that and others have reported doing so on python-list but no one
> has gotten that to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247815
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=22e69ae4-7e40-4807-8a86-b3d36fab68d3&displaylang=en

(python 3)

import ctypes
k=ctypes.WinDLL('kernel32')
x = k.SetConsoleOutputCP(65001)
if x!= 1:
     print("x was ", x )
     exit( 1 )
print (''.join(chr(i) for i in range(0x410, 0x430)).encode('utf-8'))

produces a nice b'\xd0\x90\d0\x91....' stream of hex representations of
UTF-8 encoded Unicode characters...

The only thing that seems to be missing is that Python won't emit them
to the screen that way.

So surely some python-dev that is smarter than me, could provide that
magic incantation.  Will go search, but that isn't in my current
knowledge banks.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/