[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 24 08:00:19 CET 2009

> Seems to me that while all this is fine for developers and Python users
> it's completely unsatisfactory for people who just want to use Python
> applications. For them it's much easier if each application comes with
> all dependencies including the interpreter.

I think it depends on your engineering principles. If you absolutely
have to use the latest version of any software package just because it
is there, you will certainly end up with a wobbly setup where only
a single combination of libraries can cooperate at all. OTOH, if you
develop with backwards compatibility in mind, it may be more painful
to develop, but much easier to deploy. Many of the larger libraries
and applications (Twisted, Roundup, MoinMoin) support a wide range
of Python releases, and an equally wide range of underlying libraries
(in case they need any) - so it can be done.

Of course, if you have just a single installation for your application,
developing it portably across various versions could be wasted effort.
However, in that case, I found it sufficient to just make it work on
(the Debian packages of) that single installation. Every time I upgrade
to a new Debian release, I have to see what breaks in my applications.
Most of the time, very little if any effort is needed.

So I disagree that application developers homogeneously prefer
packaging everything into a single stand-alone package. For some,
it's just not an option, for others, it's unnecessary.

I do develop applications myself, and had only once in ten years
the desire to package everything in a stand-alone way, and then ended
up using freeze. I'm genuinely curious what the scenarios are where
people desire such packaging - I did hear the desire often, but never
fully explained.

Regards,
Martin