[Python-Dev] Integrate BeautifulSoup into stdlib?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 15:35:03 CET 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Chris Withers writes:
>
>  > - debian has an outdated and/or broken version of your package.
>
> True, but just as for the package system you are advocating, it's
> quite easy to set up your apt to use third-party repositories of
> Debian-style packages.  The question is whether those repositories
> exist.  Introducing yet another, domain-specific package manager will
> make it less likely that they do, and it will cause more work for
> downstream distributors like Debian and RH.

I haven't seen this mentioned so --

For many sites (including Fedora, the one I work on), the site maintains
a local yum/apt repository of packages that are necessary for getting
certain applications to run.  This way we are able to install a system
with a distribution that is maintained by other people and have local
additions that add more recent versions only where necessary.  This has
the following advantages:

1) We're able to track our changes to the base OS.
2) If the OS vendor releases an update that includes our fixes, we're
able to consume it without figuring out on which boxes we have to delete
what type of locally installed file (egg, jar, gem,
/usr/local/bin/program, etc).
3) We're using the OS vendor package management system for everything so
junior system admins can bootstrap a new machine with only familiarity
with that OS.  We don't have to teach them about rpm + eggs + gems +
where to find our custom repositories of each.
4) If we choose to, we can separate out different repositories for
different sets of machines.  Currently we have the main local repo and
one repo that only the builders pull from.

-Toshio