[Python-Dev] GSoC: Replace MS Windows Console with Unicode UI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 24 21:40:42 CET 2009

> Hi. I'm Japanese and non-ascii charactor user. (cp932)
>
> We have to use "IME" to input non-ascii charactor in Windows.
> When "> chcp 65001" in cmd.exe, we cannot use IME on cmd.exe.
>
> So setting codepage to 65001 make output universal but make input ascii-only.
> Sit!!!

Is there a code page that still allows IME input, but supports all
of Unicode? I know there is GB18030 - is it any good?

In any case, for *that* problem, I think you need to look for a
different terminal program.

> I hope PyQtShell <http://code.google.com/p/pyqtshell/> become good
> IDLE alternative.

Could well be. To see it integrated into Python (and perhaps replace
IDLE), a lot of steps would need to happen, though. But perhaps you
weren't asking for it to be included in Python - it can also be a good
alternative if it's not included (like several other IDEs)

Regards,
Martin