[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:02:13 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> But I agree that the sizes of the packages are too small now, and it has gone
>> to far. Installing a web app like Plone is scary (+100 packages)
>
> I am working on a TurboGears2-based app and I just did a count of the .egg
> packages in the virtualenv. There are 45 of them....
>
> People should really stop splitting their work into micro-libraries (with such
> ludicrous names as "AddOns" or "Extremes", I might add (*)), and myriads of
> separately-packaged plugins (the repoze stuff). The Twisted approach is much
> saner, where you have a cohesive whole in a single package.

Yes but this means that you have to wait for the next version of the
"big" package
when a bug is corrected or a feature added, or you need to patch it.
(or maybe use the namespace trick to override it)

Having them as separated package allow different release cycles, which makes it
more "agile".

I think there should be a right middle between a big package and a myriad of
small ones.

In Zope for instance, we could probably reunite a lot of package in a single
package, because they don't evolve much anymore. (things like zope.interface)

Regards
Tarek