[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Jeff Hall hall.jeff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:37:08 CET 2009

Someone asked for the input of "ordinary users" (i.e. non developers) which,
unfortunately, most of the people on this list don't fall in. My experience
with setuptools is that it's poorly documented and assumes a level of
sophistication that isn't always there. While this is fine in a lot of
arenas, installation of things shouldn't be an area where I have to guess
between multiple interpretations of documentation AND have a thorough
knowledge of some of the nuts and bolts of interdependencies. Maybe having
an "easily extensible" language is not consistent with having an "easy to
extend" language, but the current arrangement seems untenable.

--
Haikus are easy
Most make very little sense