[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:53:38 CET 2009

2009/3/26 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think Distutils (and therefore Setuptools) should provide some APIs
>>> to play with special files (like resources) and to mark them as being special,
>>> no matter where they end up in the target system.
>>
>> Yes, this should be done. PEP 302 has some hooks but they are optional
>> and not available for the default case.
[...]
>> - Open as a binary stream
>> - Open as a text stream
>> - Get contents as a binary string
>> - Get contents as a text string
>>
> Depending on the definition of a "resource" there's additional
> information that could be needed.  For instance, if resource includes
> message catalogs, then being able to get the base directory that the
> catalogs reside in is needed for passing to gettext.

Well ... considering my experience with Babel (... gettext is similar
too ;) & bundling message catalogs (.MO ...) for Trac plugins needing
i18n support (... I even wrote some kind of i18n architecture for Trac
< 0.12 ... ;), pkg_resources handles these cases too ... dont remember
very well right now how but I think it is some knid of

{{{
>>> import pkg_resources
>>> help(pkg_resources.resource_filename)

resource_filename(self, package_or_requirement, resource_name) method
of pkg_resources.ResourceManager instance
   Return a true filesystem path for specified resource
}}}

Don't know whether this is enough or not ... but anyway ... it's
already there, and many people should be using things like this ... Is
it a bad idea to keep it there too ? I mean together with open/get
features mentioned by GvR ...

Q: Will pkg_resources.ResourceManager or equivalent remain ? AFAIK
this is to load resources from multiple sources ... FS, zip | egg
files and so on ... CMIIW ... ;)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Comandos : Pipe Viewer ... ¿Qué está pasando por esta tubería?