[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Mar 26 21:28:19 CET 2009

2009/3/26 Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org>:
> BTW, under a better name, I would support putting pkg_resources in the
> stdlib.

Last time I looked it was an incredibly complicated piece of code that
would have to be refactored considerably before it would be
maintainable by the core developers. I never did manage to get a good
understanding of the code, but I expect that a lot of the complexity
exists so that it works for all Python versions. The stdlib version
shouldn't need this -- it should only care about providing a stable
API that works with the current version.