[Python-Dev] PEP 380 (yield from a subgenerator) comments

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Mar 27 06:00:18 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> (Well here is Greg's requested use case for .send(). :-)

There was a complaint that my return-value-with-send
example was too much of a coroutine scenario, so I
was hoping to find something un-coroutine-like. But
if coroutines are the main uses for send in the first
place, then it seems my example is fine as it is.

BTW, I've thought of an answer as to why one would
want to write a parser using send(). In the non-send()
version I had to make the scanner a global variable
in order to avoid passing it around among all the
parsing functions. The send() technique avoids having
to do either of those things.

--
Greg