[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 13:26:37 CET 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> So if we, for once, forget about the central site-packages and define some
> kind of configuration process that is run when every script is launched
> to decide what packages should be loaded, we could seperate
>  "python the interpreter" from "python the pile of packages"
>
> If some kind of API + configuration file could adress this need, maybe
> things could be simpler. You wouldn't fight against a central site-packages
> or a per-user site-packages. You would have to explicitely provide it

A rather simplistic version of that was actually the motivation behind
giving the interpreter the ability to execute directories and zipfiles
containing a __main__.py file (since the named directory/zipfile gets
added to sys.path and hence any modules or packages collocated with the
__main__.py file are automatically available to the application).

It doesn't deal with the library sharing or native installer questions,
but it does help with internal distribution of applications.

Cheers,
Nick.