[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Fri Mar 27 20:29:48 CET 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 3:24 PM, skip at pobox.com wrote:
> I thought one of the arguments for zip files was a performance
> increase
> (reduced stat(2) calls, etc).  I may misremember though.

You're memory is working fine, but I don't think the way eggs are used
accomplishes that.

The measurements that supported that performance assertion were made
by putting the standard library in a single ZIP, and using that.

I don't have measurements handy, but I recall being told by someone
who did that using a *lot* of separate ZIP files wasn't as effective.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>