[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:41:49 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> Olemis Lang wrote:
>>>
>>> I also think the feature should go. If you want functionality that's so
>>> difficult to provide when you install as a zip file, the answer is not to
>>> make things more complex, but to not install as zip files.
>>>

>> What about environments like Google App Engine ? I mean, AFAIK using
>> ZIP files is the *official* solution to meet some quotas &
>> requirements ... CMIIW anyway ...
>>
>> I mean, for example: what if someone writes an app containing
>> resources like message catalogs for i18n, uploads it to GAE using ZIP
>> files and still wants to use the MO files (i.e. resources) for
>> translation (i.e. for anything else ...) ... Hmmmm ?
>
> I mentioned yesterday (in the language summit) that we really need to get
> all the requirements together before we start any work. I fear that there
> are many hidden requirements (or ones that I'm personally not aware of, at
> least). I don't know gettext well enough give an answer yet.

Perhaps it is not necessary ... i18n was only a motivation to
establish a concrete (... *very real* & *no more choices* ...) use
case. The same could be said like this :

«What if someone writes an app containing many (... *A LOT OF* ...)
resource files, uploads it to GAE using ZIP files, and still wants to
use them for anything he/she wants ... Hmmmm ?»

;o)

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Comandos : Pipe Viewer ... ¿Qué está pasando por esta tubería?