[Python-Dev] "setuptools has divided the Python community"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:55:34 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> More importantly:
>
> Why is the non-use of a command by a single Python developer enough
> motivation to remove a useful feature of distutils that's been in
> use by many others for years ?

>From the discussions I had with RPM packagers, bdist_rpm is hard to use to
comply with all the different RPM-based systems out there,

Fedora, Red Hat, etc..

I think that each OS community should maintain its own tool, that complies
to the OS standard (wich has its own evolution cycle)

Of course this will be possible as long as Distutils let the system
packager find/change
the metadata in an easy way.

I think this is the same rationale for debian packages. Right now people tend
to use external tools like stdeb and they are OK with it (but still
gets problems
extracting stuff out of Python packages at this point)

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org