[Python-Dev] version compare function into main lib

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Mar 27 23:37:11 CET 2009

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> I don't mind the setuptools implementation being used as a basis
> (assuming it gets contributed), but *independently* I think a
> specfication is needed what version strings it actually understands.
> Such specification must precede the actual implementation (in
> distutils).

Yes, please. The comparison of version strings needs to be easily done
by non-Python programs (e.g. tools for packaging Python
distributions), so a specification that can be implemented in other
languages or environments is a must.

--
 \            “I was in the grocery store. I saw a sign that said ‘pet |
  `\      supplies’. So I did. Then I went outside and saw a sign that |