[Python-Dev] Test failures under Windows?

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 19:30:56 CEST 2009

Hirokazu Yamamoto <ocean-city at m2.ccsnet.ne.jp> writes:

> CRT Assertion was totally disabled before, but recently was enabled,
> and workarounds were patched for problematic functions. (ex: fdopen
> and dup) Probably this *patch* is not perfect. See
> http://bugs.python.org/issue4804

Ah - that ticket may explain why my buildbot hadn't been having
problems until recently, even though the -n option in test.bat was
removed quite a while back.

> I'm now +3/4 for the idea disabling assertion by default,
> and enabling by startup option or environment variable. (Or enabling
> by default and disabling by environment variable?)

This is a bit more than I'm looking to have changed.

I'm only discussing disabling the GUI assertions during buildbot test
runs.  It's fine if there are other circumstances when one might also
want a mechanism to disable them, but I'd rather not intermingle such
cases since there may be different pros and cons to different cases.

The nature of the development process is that you're going to have
issues at times which is why you're testing, and given the
consequences of a pop-up box on an unattended build slave, it just
seems very strange to me that there could be any good reason to leave
a potential for such popups (which at this point is easy to disable)
in the buildbot environment.

-- David