[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:04:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 2:37 AM, Alexander Neundorf
<alex.neundorf at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> while so I can't remember the details. The current Python project
>> files are hierarchical, building several DLLs and an EXE and I think
>> this was outside the scope of the tools I looked at.
>
> Not sure I understand.
> Having a project which builds (shared) libraries and executables which
> use them (and which maybe have to be executed later on during the
> build) is no problem for CMake, also with the VisualStudio projects.
> >From what I remember when I wrote the CMake files for python it was
> quite straight forward.

I think Christian meant that since on windows, those are built with
visual studio project files, but everywhere else, it is built with
distutils, you can't use a common system without first converting
everything to cmake for all the other platforms.

Also, when converting a project from one build system to another,
doing the 80 % takes 20 % in my experience. The most time consuming
part is all small the details on not so common platforms.

David