[Python-Dev] Evaluated cmake as an autoconf replacement

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Mar 30 20:49:19 CEST 2009

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:16 AM, Alexander Neundorf
> <alex.neundorf at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Can you please explain ? What is "those" ?
>
> Everything in Lib. On windows, I believe this is done through project
> files, but on linux at least, and I guess on most other OS, those are
> handled by distutils. I guess the lack of autoconf on windows is one
> reason for this difference ?

All modules under Modules/ and PC/ are build inside the VS project. Some
dependencies like gzip, bzip2, openssl etc. are build inside the
project, too. Other dependencies are using shell scripts and nmake.

On Unix the builtin modules are compiled with a custom build system
(Modules/Setup.* and friends). The shared libraries are build by a
distutils script (setup.py) in the root folder of the Python distribution.

I already explained the reasons for the Windows build in a previous mail
about 15 minutes ago.

Christian