[Python-Dev] And the winner is...

Mike Coleman tutufan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 02:59:59 CEST 2009

Just for curiosity's sake, could someone outline the five (or so) most
significant pluses of hg relative to git?

(My personal feeling is that any of the three is a huge improvement
over subversion.  I think git probably should have been written in
Python with some stuff in C where necessary, and (perhaps) the hg guy
really is right when he claims that Linus should have skipped git and
used hg from the start.  That notwithstanding, though, it kind of
looks like git has won the mindshare war at this point, and I think
the best hg can hope for from this point forward is a sort of *BSD to
git's Linux.  I do hope that it lives on, shutouts being fascist, etc.

Aside: I once worked with the guy maintaining git, and he might have
the greatest sum of talent plus humility of any programmer I ever
met.)