[Python-Dev] Deferring PEP 382

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 1 17:16:16 CEST 2009

During Guido's review, we discovered that PEP 382 doesn't
deal with PEP 302 loaders; I believe that it should, though.

Rather than coming up with an ad-hoc design, I propose to
defer the PEP to Python 3.2 - unless somebody can propose
a straight-forward design with not too many new interfaces.

FWIW, my own approach would be to add two new interfaces to
loaders:
1. extend the package path according to .pth files available
   to the loader (alternatively, provide the contents of the
   .pth files of the package in question)
2. search for and execute a package initialization module.

Regards,
Martin