[Python-Dev] PEP 383 update: utf8b is now the error handler

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun May 3 15:43:06 CEST 2009

Martin v. Löwis <martin <at> v.loewis.de> writes:

> Glenn Linderman suggested that the name "python-escape" is not very
> descriptive, so I've changed the name to "utf8b".

If the error handler is supposed to be used for codecs other than utf-8,
perhaps it should renamed something more generic, e.g. "surrogate-escape"?

Also, if utf8-b is not provided as a codec, will there be an easy way for user
code to use the same encoding as the IO layer does? (e.g.
os.fsdecode/os.fsencode)?