[Python-Dev] Proposed: drop unnecessary "context" pointer from PyGetSetDef

Daniel Stutzbach daniel at stutzbachenterprises.com
Mon May 4 22:07:50 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Mark Dickinson <dickinsm at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I guess the bigger issue is that extensions already compiled against
> 3.0
> that use PyGetSetDef (even if they don't make use of the closure field)
> won't work with 3.1 without a recompile:  they'll segfault, or otherwise
> behave
> unpredictably.

I was under the impression that binary compatibility was only guaranteed
within a minor revision (e.g., 2.6.1 must run code compiled for 2.6.0, but
2.7.0 doesn't have to).  I've been wrong before, though.

Certainly the C extension module I maintain is sprinkled with #ifdef's so it
will compile under 2.5, 2.6, and 3.0. ;-)

--
Daniel Stutzbach, Ph.D.
President, Stutzbach Enterprises, LLC <http://stutzbachenterprises.com>