[Python-Dev] Building types programmatically (was: drop unnecessary "context" pointer from PyGetSetDef)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue May 5 02:27:36 CEST 2009

Larry Hastings wrote:

> Removing tp_reserved would affect everybody, with inscrutable
> compiler errors.

This would have to be considered in conjunction with the
proposed programmatic type-building API, I think.

I'd like to see a migration towards something like that,
BTW. Recently I had occasion to do some work on a Ruby
extension module, and I was struck by how much more
pleasant it was to be able to create a class and add a
few functions to it using calls, rather than having to
wrestle with a huge static struct declaration. While
I like the Python language better than Ruby, I think
Ruby's extension API is ahead in this particular area.

--
Greg