[Python-Dev] Help on issue 5941

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu May 7 13:49:36 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:37 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:50 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Then, in the customize_compiler function, set archiver to $AR +
>>> $ARFLAGS. IOW, just copying the logic used for e.g. ldshared,
>>>
>>> I can prepare a patch if you want,
>>
>> I am ok on Distutils side, but I wouldn't mind some help on the
>> makefile/configure side
>
> Ok, I ended up making a patch for everything. I tested it on Linux,
> where it fixed the issue while keeping the customization (both AR and
> ARFLAGS can be customized through environment variables).
>
> numpy now builds under python 2.7,
>
> cheers,
>
> David

ok thanks David, I'll complete your patch with the test I have written
for this issue and commit it so it's included in 2.7/3.1.

Notice that from the beginning, the unixcompiler class options are
never used if the option has been customized
in distutils.sysconfig and present in the Makefile, so we need to
clean this behavior as well at some point, and document
the customization features.

By the way, do you happen to have a buildbot or something that builds numpy ?
If not it'll be very interesting:  I wouldn't mind having one numpy
track running on the Python trunk and receiving
mails if something is broken.

Regards
Tarek
--