[Python-Dev] PEP 383 update: utf8b is now the error handler

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 7 20:20:59 CEST 2009

Walter Dörwald writes:

 > "surrogatepass" (for the "don't complain about lone half surrogates"
 > handler) and "surrogatereplace" sound OK to me. However the other
 > "...replace" handlers are destructive (i.e. when such a "...replace"
 > handler is used for encoding, decoding will not produce the original
 > unicode string).

That doesn't bother me in the slightest.  "Replace" does not connote
"destructive" or "non-destructive" to me; it connotes "substitution".
The fact that other error handlers happen to be destructive doesn't
affect that at all for me.  YMMV.

 > The purpose of the PEP 383 error handler however is to be roundtrip
 > safe, so maybe we should choose a slightly different name?  How
 > about "surrogateescape"?

To me, "escape" has a strong connotation of a multicharacter
representation of a single character, and that's not true here.

How about "surrogatetranslate"?  I still prefer "surrogatereplace", as
it's slightly easier for me to type.