[Python-Dev] A wordcode-based Python

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Mon May 11 23:14:44 CEST 2009

Hi Cesare,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Cesare Di Mauro
<cesare.dimauro at a-tono.com> wrote:
> At the last PyCon3 at Italy I've presented a new Python implementation,
> which you'll find at http://code.google.com/p/wpython/

Good to see some more attention on Python performance! There's quite a
bit going on in your changes; do you have an
optimization-by-optimization breakdown, to give an idea about how much
performance each optimization gives?

Looking over the slides, I see that you still need to implement
functionality to make test_trace pass, for example; do you have a
notion of how much performance it will cost to implement the rest of
Python's semantics in these areas?

Also, I checked out wpython at head to run Unladen Swallow's
benchmarks against it, but it refuses to compile with either gcc 4.0.1
or 4.3.1 on Linux (fails in Python/ast.c). I can send you the build
failures off-list, if you're interested.

Thanks,
Collin Winter