[Python-Dev] python -m test.regrtest should pass on an installed python

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu May 14 19:30:13 CEST 2009

For various reasons I happened to run 'python -m test.regrtest' on my
Gentoo installed Python.  For 2.5.4 only test_tarfile failed (it tries
to write into the read-only installed test directory).  On 2.6.2
test_tarfile passes, but other test suites, including test_distutils,
do not.

So this posting is a general reminder that the tests should not make
assumptions about the writabilty of the test directory (or, for that
matter, of the CWD).

When I get time I'll file bugs on the particular failures I'm seeing,
after I do an install from checkout.

--David