[Python-Dev] [unladen-swallow] PEP 384: Defining a Stable ABI

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at gmail.com
Wed May 20 18:40:42 CEST 2009

A couple thoughts:

I'm with the people who think the refcount should be accessed through
functions by apps that want ABI compatibility. In particular,
GIL-removal efforts are guaranteed to change how the refcount is
modified, but there's a good chance they wouldn't have to change the
API. (We have some ideas for how to maintain source compatibility in
the absence of a GIL:
http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/wiki/ExtensionModules#Reference_Counting)
Over an 8-year lifetime for Python 3, Moore's law predicts that
desktop systems will have up to 64 cores, at which point even the
simplest GIL-removal strategy of making refcounts atomic will be a
win, despite the 2x performance loss for a single thread. I wouldn't
want an ABI to rule that out.

I do think the refcounting macros should remain present in the API
(not ABI) for apps that only need source compatibility and want the
extra speed.

I wonder if it makes sense to specify an API compatibility mode in
this PEP too.

"Py_LIMITED_API" may not be the right macro name—it didn't imply
anything about an ABI when I first saw it. Might it make sense to use
Py_ABI_COMPATIBILITY=### instead? (Where ### could be an ISO date like
20090520.) That would put "ABI" in the macro name and make it easier
to define new versions later if necessary. (New versions would help
people compile against a new version of Python and be confident they
had something that would run against old versions.) If we never define
a new version, defining it to a number instead of just anything
doesn't really hurt.

It's probably worth pointing out in the PEP that the fact that
PyVarObject.ob_size is part of the ABI means that PyObject cannot
change size, even by adding fields at the end.

Right now, the globals representing types are defined like
"PyAPI_DATA(PyTypeObject) PyList_Type;". To allow the core to use the
new type creation functions, it might be useful to make the ABI type
objects PyTypeObject* constants instead.

In general, this looks really good. Thanks!

Jeffrey